Sarah A. Mooney Memorial Museum
Aaron, Sarah and Harriet Mooney came to Lemoore in 1875. Mr. Mooney prospered as the proprietor of the general store and funeral director. Mrs. Mooney and her daughter, Harriet, were very active in civic affairs. In 1893 Aaron and Sarah built their Victorian home.
This home was left by Sarah Mooney to her granddaughter Marie Blakeley in 1925. Marie and her husband L.M. ‘Buzz” Blakeley along with their family wanted this property to stand in the memory of their grandmother. In 1974, after the Lemoore Centennial, they donated it to the Lemoore District Chamber of Commerce to be used as a memorial museum. The museum was opened to the public on October 17, 1976.
View a transcript of articles that appeared in the Hanford Sentinel reporting the donation of the house and the opening of the museum here.
The Sarah A. Memorial Museum receives NO public funding! It is totally dependent on generous donations from individuals, businesses, and community organizations; fundraising events; and our engraved brick program.